Culver Cadet Section > Modifications

Need everything

<< < (2/3) > >>

Paul Rule:
Lark put a solid block of spruce between the two top longerons in the last (tail end) bay.  They then plated it top and bottom with 3/32" plywood.  It has some fancy cutouts front amd back to clear the elevator pushrods but that's about it.

The 3/16" block of hardwood plywood under the forward bolt hole is glued on last as per the #12 Memorandum.  I think there are planes still out there that never had that done correctly ( and maybe got the struts put on as a stopgap).

I have done it to one airplane and I think Carl Badget did it to 3 or 4 that he did.  It really spreads the loading out well and makes the stab really stiff even out at the tip.  The other thing to do is put larg area washers (AN970-4) between the fuselage and stab on all 4 attach bolts.  They give a little more area then the steel fittings alone.  Of course, all 4 holes in the longerons should have thin wall steel bushings (5/16" od x 1/4" id) in them to prevent crushing.

Neal LaFrance:
Mark, Look at the picture posting of the Cadet STF airplane on the web might give you some ideas.

Culver Dreamer:
  Thanks Neil:  I've been studying every picture I can find online of your Cadet STF. I'm really looking forward to seeing it in person!  Mark

Bill Poynter:

--- Quote from: Culver Dreamer on December 30, 2011, 11:09:36 AM ---  Hello Guys: I can't find a project Culver Cadet, if you know of one please send me an e-mail at pennair@hotmail.com. Since I couldn't find a project I bought Neil La France's STF plans and intend to go ahead with it. If you have any parts particularly metal ones it would help speed up the build time for me.  Here is a question for some of the more knowledgeable in the group. I see some pictures of cadets that have a strut from the bottom of the fuselage to the horizontal stab. Not all have this what is the reason for this? If there is a weakness back there then why not have flying wires from the fuselage to the horizontal stab and continue up to the vertical stab like the Piper Cub for example.
 Mark

--- End quote ---
Here's a photo of a PQ-14 with struts on the horizontal stab.  I wonder if this was a field mod or if it came from the factory that way.

Culver Dreamer:
Hay Bill thanks for the picture. I had to laugh when I saw the pitot tube. Who designed it like that. I wonder how often on walk arounds they hurt some poor pilot and got bent in the process. Also what are the two forward facing tubes around the top of thefirewall?
  Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version