Culver Cadet Section > Culver General Discussion

For you Culver guys

(1/2) > >>

Woody:
You guys that have already been through the process of restoring a Culver and are flying, don't forget us newbies that are struggling.  I for one need any data as best type of prop you are using for speed, climbing etc.  What to do that helps cruise speed?  What is old hat to some are desperately needed by others and we are a small group.  Anyone know of planes just sitting, stored parts, engine parts etc. You get the Idea. Money is also helpful so if anyone knows where some is ~~ PLEASE call me!   W

Bill Poynter:
Hi Woody,  Here's a link to the Sensenich Installation List for wooden propellers: http://www.sensenich.com/files/documents/Application_Guides_Certified_Wood_Aricraft_Propeller_Application_Guide_1324495270.pdf This guide doesn't list a model for the Cadet with a 90 HP Franklin, only the 80 HP model.  I believe that the W70AF-54 would be a good cruise prop for the Cadet with a 90 Franklin. 

I've been told by a prop manufacturer that all companies don't calculate the effective pitch the same way as Sensenich.  Be alert for this if you elect to use another brand.

I once had an LFA with an Aeromatic prop.  The crankshaft has to be cut off to mount the Aeromatic on a Franklin.  This setup didn't seem to help the performance at all.

Woody:
Good info, thanks Bill.  I just returned from delivering the engine for rebuilding so I'm already anticipating being in the air! I have a Flotarp 74-54 that came with the plane.  I was told that it was a bit aggressive and for climbing ??

Scott Crosby:
Hey Woody - Who are you having rebuild your Franklin?  I will be facing this issue soon or deciding if I should tackle  it myself.
Thanks,
Scott Crosby

Woody:
Scott,
 I found an A&P that does engine work and is very knowledgeable.  Very clean environment and very focused.  He and a friend  have restored Franklin's before so they took my engine. They are at the Melbourne Ar. airport which is about 40 miles N. of me.  When you decide, let me know and I'll see if he is interested.  Where is your home base?     W

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version