Culver Cadet Section > Culver General Discussion

performance of Culver

(1/2) > >>

Woody:
Depending on your engine, please give a little info on performance of your plane if now flying.  Stall speed, spin recovery and speed at recovery.  Rotation speed and over the fence and cruise speed.
I know this depends on your prop also. 

Bill Poynter:
Hi Woody

My present Cadet usually indicates 120-125 MPH at around 2300 RPM.  I've had the airspeed indicator overhauled. but I'm sure there are a lot of installation variations between different Cadets.  My plane also has a current pitot-static certification.  It's a C85 with a metal McCauley model 1B90 CM7051 prop.  This prop doesn't turn up as many RPM's during climb as I thought it would.  I usually come over the fence at about 70 MPH if it isn't too gusty.  If it is gusty, more like 80. 
Here's a link to some specs posted on Gene Hetsel's website: http://www.ibeatyouthere.com/culver/specs.html

Paul Rule:
Over 1519 NM (11 legs) I averaged 88 NM (101 stat mi.) per hr. and almost exactly 20 stat miles per gallon of gas.  This was with a Franklin 90 HP and a 70-54" wood prop.   These include all manouvering in the pattern so will be a little slower then straight line time -vs- distance measurments.

Woody:
I used to experiment with props on a formula one and it was interesting with a C-100.  Now I'm wondering about increasing the pitch on a prop for more speed.  some mfg. co only look at the charts and that is what you get.  I'm looking at what a 7058 would do.  I know it would not be certified but would only be a test for results.   Any input for the Franklin 90?

Bill Poynter:
I think it would be a good idea to see what the manifold pressure is when running a 70X54 at cruising airspeed and RPM, before ordering a prop with a bigger pitch.  You might also consider a 68" diameter prop if you're going to increase the pitch.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version