Culver Cadet Section > Culver General Discussion

What about rotten wood?

(1/2) > >>

Bill Poynter:
The guys who are rebuilding or who have rebuilt their Cadets have probably found some rotten wood during the process.  What do you think are the most likely locations for wood rot on the Cadet airframe? 

Have you ever considered treating the wood with some sort of fungicide or algaecide product?

Woody:
If you type in wood rot on planes there is a wonderful article on that.  I've read it but don't remember where it is.  This is a deadly culprit with wood.  It is a fungus and it can weaken wood if not stopped or replaced.  There is products that say it will kill the spores in the wood but I would rather replace it with new wood and feel safe.  There is several articles on crashes from wood rot causing severe wood failure in airplanes.  One that comes to mind was a Bellanca that broke up in flight.

Bill Poynter:
Hi Woody,

Here's a link to the article I think you may be referring to: http://www.culvercadet.com/woodrot.pdf

Bill Poynter:
What I have in mind is pre-treating the wood so that the rot spores won't ever get started. There used to be a product for preventing wood rot, that contained pentachlorophenol. It was a clear thin liquid that left no visible trace.  I think the EPA made them take it off of the market though.  Perhaps there is a replacement that's not so hazardous.

Woody:
Thanks Bill ~~ Yes that was the article I read and it really got my attention.  I also looked into treatment of the wood but the A&P that worked on the plane was so through that I did not investigate any more.  At least by replacing dark wood you know you are safe in such.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version