Author Topic: Culver PQ-8  (Read 8799 times)

Dan Rhinehart

• View Profile
  • N Number: NC41620
Culver PQ-8
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:11:25 PM »
Hi all,

I was wondering if any one out there knows if there are any PQ-8's still in existence? I have been friends with a lot of old timers (people who were around WW II or the early post war years) through the years and I have never heard mention of surplus PQ-8's nor have I ever seen any pictures of one in the post war years in civilian markings.
Also, I do not know of one in a museum in any condition.

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Re: Culver PQ-8
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:03:39 AM »
I believe that it required a  considerable amount of conversion to get the FAA to bless the PQ-8A for civil operation.  There was a lot of hardware that interfaced the radio system to the flight controls.  The only approval that I'm aware was obtained by Jamieson Aircraft Co.  I think they obtained a new type certificate and called it a Jamieson J-1.  Edward F Fatla had one.  I think I have seen a photo of his at an air show, but I can't locate it now.  His still shows up on the FAA Aircraft registry, but I believe that he is deceased.  The N number is N41778.  There are 2 others on the registry, N61468 and N41781.  It would be interesting to find out the status of these planes and to get some photos.

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 12:11:11 AM »
There are currently no PQ-8s, and 3 PQ-8As showing on the FAA registry.

N41778  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) is shown as registered to Edward Fatla, but expired on 9/30/2011.
N41781  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) is shown as registered to John Beoddy, but expired on 6/30/2012.

leaving only:

N61468  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) registered to Johnny Nimmons in Pattison, TX as the only currently registered PQ-8A.

I think Bill's information is correct about the PQ-8A.  The PQ-8 however was certified by Culver prior to production (as the LAR on TCDS 2-559 which I believe only applies to the prototype, and as the LAR-90 on TCDS A-748).  If I recall correctly the Army required that the PQ-8 be certified to CAA standards prior to their acceptance.  It's a shame that there are apparently none in existence.  I know of none in museums or elsewhere.  The FAA registry does show categories for the Culver LAR, Culver LAR-90, Culver PQ-8, Superior Culver LAR, Superior Culver LAR-90, and Superior Culver PQ-8, so there apparently were some registered at some time in the past.

Being an aircraft produced early in WWII, I can only imagine that the majority of them were destroyed during the war, and those remaining after WWII have slipped away over the years.  I have an interest in the Waco CG-3A Troop Glider that has apparently also completely disappeared from the face of the earth.  They weren't even used as targets or in combat as far as I can find, and they've suffered the same fate as the PQ-8.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 08:43:48 AM by Brett Lovett »

Dan Rhinehart

• View Profile
  • N Number: NC41620
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:07 PM »
Hi all,

I also gather from talking to old timers that were around during the war that there were a number of all wood or partially wood airplanes during those years that were built somewhat "disposable" and may not have been intended to last but a couple years or so, and hence their quality of construction was lower than would be normally the case. For example, has anyone seen a wood wing,wood tail cone and tail BT-13???
In the case of the PQ-8, its projected life may have been measured in weeks or days.

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 08:52:04 AM »
With the construction of the PQ-8 and PQ-8A (LAR, L-AR-90 & LARB) being almost identical to that of the LCA and LFA, I doubt there was any significant difference in quality.  Also, there are several examples of the PQ-14 (Culver NR-D) that still exist.  Their quality of construction should also be similar.

g dart

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:10:23 PM »
There are currently no PQ-8s, and 3 PQ-8As showing on the FAA registry.

N41778  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) is shown as registered to Edward Fatla, but expired on 9/30/2011.
N41781  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) is shown as registered to John Beoddy, but expired on 6/30/2012.

leaving only:

N61468  Jamieson J-1 (PQ-8A) registered to Johnny Nimmons in Pattison, TX as the only currently registered PQ-8A.

I think Bill's information is correct about the PQ-8A.  The PQ-8 however was certified by Culver prior to production (as the LAR on TCDS 2-559 which I believe only applies to the prototype, and as the LAR-90 on TCDS A-748).  If I recall correctly the Army required that the PQ-8 be certified to CAA standards prior to their acceptance.  It's a shame that there are apparently none in existence.  I know of none in museums or elsewhere.  The FAA registry does show categories for the Culver LAR, Culver LAR-90, Culver PQ-8, Superior Culver LAR, Superior Culver LAR-90, and Superior Culver PQ-8, so there apparently were some registered at some time in the past.

Being an aircraft produced early in WWII, I can only imagine that the majority of them were destroyed during the war, and those remaining after WWII have slipped away over the years.  I have an interest in the Waco CG-3A Troop Glider that has apparently also completely disappeared from the face of the earth.  They weren't even used as targets or in combat as far as I can find, and they've suffered the same fate as the PQ-8.
  i ended up with the remains of n-41778  PQ-8A  jamieson j-1 along with other culvers from the fatla collection.  most of the stuff was passed on to other culver owners.  no complete airframes were found in the old barn full of airplane stuff.  just parts,pieces with bill of sales & name plates.  dart