Author Topic: Culver Story  (Read 3564 times)

macanimal

• View Profile
Culver Story
« on: October 17, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
Hello Culver people:
As a follow-up to my first post, I thought I might interest you in a bit of personal history.  Let me explain:  I've always been nuts about airplanes, so around age 5 my parents asked me if I'd want to attend the grand opening of a local drive-in theater which featured a "stunt pilot?"  (they already knew the answer).   The "stunt pilot" was Wes stetson and the plane was his Culver LCA.   What I witnessed was so quick and abrupt that I thought I was watching a MODEL airplane!
Fast forward several years:  When I started the flying lessons that I'd been dreaming about -- 24/7 -- for about 15 years, the owner of the FBO was none other than Wes Stetson.   He mentored me through the ratings, then employed me as a pilot until the airlines called.
It wasn't until after his death in 1977 that I realized that my flight instructor was the pilot in that childhood vision.   It was a poignant time, indeed, when I was allowed to attend an informal viewing of his personal items.   The picture in the attachment is of a painting comissioned for him in 1966 (I rescued it from the estate sale).   Wes was the recipient of many awards/accolades flying the airshow circuit in the early 1950's.
Happily, his Culver Cadet -- N29273 -- still has valid FAA registration and presumably survives today.
Thought you guys might enjoy that....................
Best regards,
David