Author Topic: Culver work  (Read 4537 times)

craighewitt

• View Profile
Culver work
« on: May 10, 2014, 11:17:31 PM »
Even though winter has finally given up here in Ct. My Culver project is moving forward.My firewall is reinstalled and I have fitted the wing truss but have removed it so that I have better access when fitting the fuel tank and rudder pedals. I have spent the most time cleaning and painting small parts. I found that the tank strap supports were weak where the straps attach and spent a fair amount of time.fixing and strengthening this area.It holds the weight of the tank and gas.I am sending out this letter in the hopes of hearing that other Culver enthusiasts are enjoying restoring their aircraft. The Forum is quiet.Thanks Craig Hewitt

Keith U.

• View Profile
  • N Number: N20988
Re: Culver work
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:49:15 PM »
Getting ready to paint, using the Stewart System.  Have almost everything to finish, except time!
My tank strap attach brackets are weak too, wondering if you had a wing rotate method to paint it or just did it one side at a time.

craighewitt

• View Profile
Re: Culver work
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 10:06:30 PM »
I beefed up the tank brackets with wood .I reglued the small verticals,{they were loose} and then glued a3/4square piece that sit s on top of the stringer and runs to the firewall. Behind the vertical I glued a piece that goes from the vertical to ward the rear, leaving  room for the strap bolt.It's strong.I painted the fuselage one side at a time.Craig