Culver Cadet Section > Modifications

Aft Fuel Tank

(1/3) > >>

Scott Crosby:
My Cadet (457) has the optional 15 gallon aft fuel tank. My 90hp Franklin that came with it also has the 8 qt sump that appears to be required when the aft tank is installed. (I assume for weight & balance purposes)

I have looked at every photo of a Cadet that I can find and I can't see any of them with a rear tank filler like mine. It is on the upper right side just behind the passenger door. How many have this option?

Anyone have any experience with this rear tank or any thoughts about it? I almost wish my plane didn't have it.
Kind of somewhat defeats the simple nature of the Culvers I think.

I can take a photo of the installation if someone would like to see it.

Paul Rule:
I have 2 (not installed) rear tanks.  One is "D" shaped and (I think) made at the factory.  The other is more rectangular and taller, and I am not sure of its history.  Neither has an outside filler cap... both to be filled by tipping the seat back forward.   I have no drawings for plumbing.  I would think the main tank would have to be less then 1/2 full for any fuel to feed forward from tank to tank.  For the aft tank to feed the engine directly it does not have enough head for a climbing attitude so I would expect its 'level flight only'.

The larger oil tank on the engine is a regulatory requirment, I think.  The regs required that you not run out of oil before you run out of gasoline!!!

Bill Poynter:
Scott,  I've never seen a Cadet with the aux tank installation.  If you can post some photos, it would be great.  Is the plumbing still in place?

Scott Crosby:
Here's a couple photos.

Scott Crosby:
I'll try again

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version