Author Topic: Heading home in the Culver Cadet  (Read 12395 times)

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
  • N Number: N34793
Heading home in the Culver Cadet
« on: February 17, 2012, 10:56:49 PM »
Hi Everyone,
Picked up the Cadet this afternoon and have started for home. The airplane is a joy to fly. 
Today's flight started from Nampa, Idaho and stopped at Ely, Nevada. 
More pics to follow
-Joe

Culver Dreamer

• View Profile
Re: Heading home in the Culver Cadet
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 12:26:11 AM »
Hi Joe: what's the story behind the trip? Did you just buy this airplane or recently have it restored? I'd like to know what engine you have, what altitudes you are flying at and what kind of cruise speed you are getting in the obviously cold air.
  Stay warm. Mark

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 01:37:02 AM »
It’’s Culver for Cross-Country, right?  The trip is from Nampa ID to Atlanta GA.
It's not restored, but it is new to me. This is a LFA with a 90hp Franklin engine. 
Cruise altitude was up to 9'500, OAT 30º-32º averaging 90-100mph indicated while burning 5gph.

Woody

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
Congradulations Joe!  Another toy which keeps us alive and enjoying life!  What size prop is on the engine?  Please keep us informed with pictures ~~ safe flying.   Woody

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
Today I had a late start, woke up at 5:30AM and found out the airport didn't open until 8:00AM.  Since I needed fuel I had no choice but to wait, so I decided to have a long relaxing breakfast and work on my flight plan. 
Got to the airport at 8:00, wiped the frost off and paid for the fill-up, then tried to get the engine to start (it was cold last night and about 32º this morning).  That took a while...
So 10:30 rolls around, after letting the engine run for 20 or so minutes, the oil temp was up to ~80º so I started rolling.  Did a run-up ok, check temps (oil was now at 100º) and got out of Ely, NV. 
The airport elevation is at 6100', the airplane was off the runway pretty quickly but the climb rate was slow, slow, slow.  I had to 'S' turn and circle to climb above the low pass (7500') following Route 6.  I think my glider experience is coming into play with managing airspeed and altitude.  Climbing over some of these mountain passes is challenging like working a weak thermal in a glider!
Now that I have stopped for the night, I just pulled out the fuel receipts and the fuel burn rate doesn't seem possible.  I am tired so I must be making a mistake (someone feel free to correct me).
I have been throttled back to 2200-2300 seeing ~90kts ground speed on the GPS (cruising altitude around 9,500' and briefly up to 10,500 today)

Airport ID   City/State                              Flight time        Gallons              GPH       Oil added
KMAN-U03 (Nampa, ID to Twin Falls, ID)      1:20                 5 gallons              3.8         Topped to 6.0qts
U03-KELY  (Twin Falls, ID to Ely, NV)            2:20                7.9 gallons            3.4         Added .5
KELY-1L8   (Ely, NV to Hurricane, UT)           2:00                7.89 gallons          4.0
1L8-KGUP  (Hurricane, UT to Gallup, NM)      2:47                11.0 gallons          3.9         Added .5

More updates to follow!
-Joe

(Woody, The prop is a Sensenich W70AB-54)

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:48:31 PM by JoeB »

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
Photo 1 - 30 or so minutes out from Ely, NV
Photo 2 - Heading to Hurricane, UT
Photo 3 - Page, AZ
Photo 4 - Between Page, AZ and Gallup, NM
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 09:45:22 PM by JoeB »

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 09:17:43 PM »
Hello Everyone,
First off, thank you to those that emailed me with encouragement and status checks on my progress. 
I made it home tonight flying the Culver to the closest lighted airport (KFFC).   I'll go back in the AM and fly it to my hangar tomorrow (8GA9).
Had a great tailwind today, over 700NM in 7 hours. 
This was my first true 'cross country' and the first time I have spent anytime out West.  What a beautiful country we live in!  Total Culver Cadet time, Friday 17th to Monday 20th: 23.8hrs.  I am happy to be home!
I'll take some time to review my fuel receipts, logs, and thoughts and then write up a conclusion of the trip to post here.
Have a great evening and keep 'em flying!
Joe

10kDA

• New Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:49 PM »
Hi Joe,

Nice to meet you last weekend at Moriarty NM Muni (OEO). I stopped with my dog to talk at the pumps. The tailwind that helped you along was driven by some really nasty stuff that left us with freezing rain and snow. I was hoping it wouldn't catch up with you. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Chris

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 09:20:05 PM »
Hi Joe,

Nice to meet you last weekend at Moriarty NM Muni (OEO). I stopped with my dog to talk at the pumps. The tailwind that helped you along was driven by some really nasty stuff that left us with freezing rain and snow. I was hoping it wouldn't catch up with you. Sounds like you had a great trip!

Chris

Hi Chris,
Nice to meet you as well, glad to see you are hanging around the forum! 
Those tailwinds were nice, sure made the last part of the trip go quickly.
And thanks for those AA batteries for my headset, it's guys like you that make the statement true, "You meet the nicest people at the airport"
Best regards,
Joe