Author Topic: Factory plans/drawings?  (Read 7039 times)

JoeB

• View Profile
    • Events Decorated
  • N Number: N34793
Factory plans/drawings?
« on: February 21, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
Hello everyone,

I have a Piper PA20 project and have found that the factory drawings CD from the Short Wing Piper Club has been a great resource for repairs and/or product knowledge.

Are there factory drawings available for the Culver Cadet?  If so, having these available would be a great asset to the community.

-Joe

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
Re: Factory plans/drawings?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 12:45:55 AM »
Joe,

Culver Aircraft seased to exist so olng ago that the Cadet drawings have been scattered over the years and have been copied / reproduced / re-drawn by many different people.  If a good set of (original) drawings could be pulled together and digitized for internet transmission that would be a great thing.  I am not sure that this is possible.  Several people are working to help this along but it is work... and slow.  Some drawings are slowly being put in the drawings section of this site.

Remember that drawings that are not original (Culver Aircraft) drawings carry little weight (as approved data) with the FAA.  That is not to say they are a great help in your restoration work...

Burk Bell (N41730) reproduced (from factory original) a very good drawing of the fuselage a number of years ago (1993).  He was asking $30 at that time.  I am not sure if he is still selling them but here he is:

Burke Bell
3030 S. Piper Drive
Erie, CO 80516

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
I wonder if the original drawings that Culver submitted to the CAA could be located.  Now that the courts have ruled that the FAA must make them available, we could have a source for acquiring first generation scans of the drawings.  Here's a link to an article on the AAA website regarding this:

http://www.antiqueairfield.com/articles/show/1114-faa-reauthorization-bill-requires-preservation-and-sharing-of-vintage-aircraft-data

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:36 PM »
The Antique Airplane Association in Blakesburg, IA has a surprising number of original Culver Aircraft drawings applicable to the LCA/LFA models mixed in with other Culver, Helton and Spinks drawings.