Author Topic: Original Cadet colors??  (Read 4687 times)

Phil Kite

• View Profile
  • N Number: CF-DFT
Original Cadet colors??
« on: March 16, 2012, 06:48:06 PM »
Hi all,

I'm restoring #333 in Sherwood Park, Alberta at airport CEE6.  Too many other projects have got in the way, but I hope to get back to it soon. 

Does anyone know what were the original colors and schemes used?

Thanks,
Phil

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Re: Original Cadet colors??
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
Phil,

I checked with Stan Piteau, about the colors.  I thought he would be the best person to ask.  He has a lot of information on Culver production and history. 

He says that he has  found only one reference to color in all of his Culver documents.  That one was for a plane to be delivered to the customer wearing yellow paint, with the trim color to be applied later.

All of the old photos are black and white, but at least you can get an idea of the paint schemes that were used.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 10:54:23 PM by Bill Poynter »

Dan Rhinehart

• View Profile
  • N Number: NC41620
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 03:17:11 AM »
My dad bought NC3703 in the summer of 1977. It had been setting in a hangar in McCamey, Texas since around 1957. It still had the NC prefix on the N-number, hence it could have been painted no later than 1949. I had the job of removing the very rotten fabric off the fuselage, which referring to the N-number must have dated back to at least 1949. I doubt (based on the airplanes records) that the fuselage had been recovered since new. The fuselage fabric showed no signs of more than one color, nor as I remember did the sheet metal. Its colors were a black fuselage and rudder with red wings and tail. It had the usual three parallel pinstripes on the fuselage in red.

Dan Rhinehart

• View Profile
  • N Number: NC41620
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:10:48 PM »
Correction:
The red and black Culver was NC37803 S/N 313