Culver Cadet Section > Modifications

Franklin vs Continental

(1/3) > >>

Culver Dreamer:

If you had the option which engine would you go with, the 4AC-199 90hp Franklin or a Continental C-85-12 in a Culver Cadet.
    I owned a Luscombe which had the A-65. I found this engine bullet proof and cheap to maintain. It never gave me any problems. 
    What's the parts availability like for the Franklin and who are the parts vendors? What for example does a cyclinder cost?
    I remember reading in the early years the J3 Cub when powered by the Franklin engine didn't put out the same thrust as the "equilivent" HP Continental. Has anyone flown a Culver Cadet behind both the Franklin 90 and Continental 85? Could you comment on the difference in performance between these engines  please.
  Does the Franklin tend to go to TBO?
  I know Continentals are so much more numerous and it probably seems like a no brainer that It should be my choice but I'm also a sucker for originality and having something that's just a little different.
 Please tell me your experiences with both engines and oh ya Happy Easter!
Mark

JoeB:
I would go with the best example Culver Cadet you find for sale and not be concerned about the engine choice as much. 
My Cadet has the 4AC-199 and I was a bit worried about parts availability before making the purchase (I learned a lesson after trying to find parts for a Lycoming 0-290D on my Pacer, it now has a 0-320).
The Franklin engine hasn't skipped a beat in 44.4 hours of operation since Feb 16th.  The fuel burn is low, 3.5-4.0gph.  The engine is balanced and smooth.  Oil consumption is minimal.  Only parts purchased so far were spark plugs,which I was warned before hand are pricey, at $44 each. 
The Franklin engine owners are a pretty tight family and seem to be willing to help with tools and parts.  There are 3 or so suppliers here in the USA and the Franklin Engine company (out of Poland) has started producing new parts, camshafts, crankshafts, pistons, etc.
Southern Aero is a rebuilder and supplier of Franklin engines, located in Thomasville, NC.  The A&P IA, Robert Stills, did a Franklin engine forum at Sun n Fun this year and it was quite encouraging.
Hopefully someone with Franklin and Continental experience in the Culver Cadet can give comparison feedback, should be interesting!
Happy Easter to you as well!
Best regards,
Joe

Woody:
Well, it's been years since flying behind a Continental 100 and had four engine outs that summer as I recall. (racing)  and now have two 0 time 4Ac199E3 Franklin's and a 65.  Price is much cheaper than the Cont. and parts seem to be plentiful.  I bought new plugs (set of 10) for $ 55 so I was happy with that.  I will pick one and sell the other and the 65 when they are rebuilt unless I find another project.  After talking with the old boys, I'm very happy with the Franklin plus it's original!

JoeB:

--- Quote from: Woody on April 06, 2012, 04:46:12 PM ---I bought new plugs (set of 10) for $ 55 so I was happy with that.

--- End quote ---

Those were not the Champion REJ-38's, were they?  If so, please share your source!!!

Woody:
Sorry, these were the original ones still in the waterproof box (C10S Champion) that had the offset in them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version