Author Topic: Tail wheels  (Read 10187 times)

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
Tail wheels
« on: January 05, 2012, 02:50:11 PM »
You can see a wide selection of tail wheel and tail wheel steering setups. 

I know of no Culvers that were factory equipped with tail wheel steering nor of any drawings.  Attaching tailwheel steering cables to the existing rudder cables can cause cable alignment problems depending on how it is done. 

Anyone had problems with the big wood beam (for attaching the spring) coming loose? 

No steering cables?  How do you like it?

So share your success stories and tips here...  anyone running a pnumatic tire or are all solid rubber?

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:53:28 PM by Paul Rule »

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Re: Tail wheels
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
The two Cadets I had back in the late 1960's both had full-swivel tail wheels, with no connection to the rudder.  Aside from takeoffs with a left crosswind, it actually worked pretty well.  In those circumstances you might find yourself applying full right rudder and applying right brake during the takeoff roll.  If one of the expander-tube brakes goes on the fritz while taxiing, you're only going to be turning one direction.

I think that a Cleveland brake conversion would be a big benefit with a full swivel tail wheel.

One of those Cadets developed a loose tail wheel mounting beam.  It was pretty chewed up when I removed it and wasn't a good fit in the bulkhead saddle.  I went over to Hillirich & Bradsby and obtained a piece of ash that they use to make Louisville Slugger baseball bats.  I used that to make a new, slightly oversized beam which I glued into place.  It worked out great.

I'm guessing that a tail wheel shimmy would be really hard on the beam that the spring is mounted to. 

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 10:56:28 PM »
I have seen Culver factory drawings for the installation of a steering system for the tailwheel. 

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:28 AM »
Any way to get copies of those drawings?  Anyone to contact?

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2012, 11:43:23 AM »
Paul

I believe I found those drawings in the library at the Antique Airplane Association/Air Power Museum at Blakesburg, IA.  Brent Taylor would be the contact there.  I can't remember right now if I had copies of those drawings made.  I'll look later and see if I have those, or any references to them in my notes.   

As I recall, the standard rudder cable ran from the rudder bar, under the pulley on in the floor, and then used a clevis to attach to two cables, one to the rudder and one to the tailwheel.  It's similar to some steering installations I've seen (including the one on mine) although the cable routing is different.  The potential issue is having the tailwheel steering springs pulling the steering cables enough to create slack in the rudder cables (aft of the clevis or connecting point between the rudder and steering cables).  I've seen other installations that utilize a pivoting bar to isolate the steering cable tension from the rudder cable system.  On most tailwheel aircraft the rudder horn provides the tension isolation between the rudder cables and steering springs.

Brett

Brett Lovett

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
I did make copies of these drawings.  They are numbered 421, 422 and 423.  One of the drawings has a portion of the cables erased as if someone had started to update the drawing, but never completed it.

Neal LaFrance

• View Profile
  • N Number: N46TY
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:37:20 PM »
The Cadet STF drawings show how to make direct tail wheel stearing. Neal