Author Topic: Elevator stop  (Read 4955 times)

Stefan Janes

• View Profile
Elevator stop
« on: June 17, 2013, 08:21:00 PM »
Hi Folks,

I got a little confused when I removed the floor carpet of my Cadet. Can anyone tell me what limits the elevator up movement? Is there any stop block or something like that? Maybe in the rear fuselage? I could not find anything in the manuals or parts catalogues. So far my elevator was stopped by a metal strip screwed to the floor, that held the carpet down near the steering assembly. I doubt that was the way it should be according to Al Mooney...
Talking about elevator travel. Is there any source to find out the max. elevator travel limit for up and down? Also for rudder and aileron?
Thanks for the help!!

Best regards across the pond,

Stefan

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
Re: Elevator stop
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
hello Stefan,

The elevator should have an "UP" stop on the tube where it goes past the two main spars under the seat.

It is a simple tube clamp with a small steel triangle welded to it that hits the spar face at the right angle.

I thought we had posted rigging angles somewhere but will do it again in a later post here.

The PQ8 erection manual (posted elswhere) has control surface rigging angles (that may or may not be the same as the civilian Cadet.

Paul R.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:53:24 PM by Paul Rule »

Paul Rule

• View Profile
  • N Number: N37814
Re: Elevator stop
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 01:11:05 PM »
From an OLD (1973)  Culver news letter the following control surface rigging info:

Ailerons         UP  17   (+- 1)     DN   15  (+- 1)
     Rudder          R    34   (+- 1)     L     31   (+- 1)
     Elevator         UP   21   (+- 1)    DN   30  (+- 2)
     Trim Tab        UP    19.5            DN   19.5

Aileron stops should be clear of aileron hinge bracket attach bolts.

The PQ8 Military maintenance manual stated: 

Ailerons         UP  15   (+- 1)          DN   14  (+- 1)
     Rudder          R    37   (+- 1)           L     34   (+- 1)
     Elevator         UP   12.5   (+- 1/4)    DN   30.5  (+- 2)
     Trim Tab        UP    12    (+- 2)        DN   11(+- 2)

Although the PQ8 was the same basic airframe,  the demands (or limits) of early technology radio control may have dictated some of the differences.

P. R.