Author Topic: Landing gear leaf spring  (Read 7451 times)

Stefan Janes

• View Profile
Landing gear leaf spring
« on: May 13, 2014, 08:50:25 AM »
Hi guys,

after about 20 hours and many landings on a trouble-free landing gear, the right hand leaf spring broke while taxiing on a rough grass taxiway. Since I am converting to Burke Bell's O-ring oleo strut seal there will be no real need for that unique spring feature anymore. But in order to keep it all original as far as possible (If you read this, hi Dan!) I am eager to replace the broken part.
My question is now if anyone knows a source for those parts or has one for sale? I remember there was a pair for sale on ebay a while ago but I did not consider it necessary to put them on stock. Unfortunately...
I would appreciate any help I can get to let N25U shine again!  8)

Thanks,
Stefan

Bill Poynter

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • N Number: N41637
Re: Landing gear leaf spring
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 10:53:13 PM »
Hi Stefan,

I just wanted to clarify that the O-rings are simply a better way of keeping the oil in the strut from leaking out.  The mod does not convert it to an air/oil strut.  It's the absence of the oil due to leakage, that usually causes the spring to break.  When the oil in the strut is forced through a small orifice, a damping action occurs, preventing the strut from continually bottoming-out.  Bill
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 10:59:32 PM by Bill Poynter »

Culver Dreamer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
I'll bet these guys could help you.

http://www.eatondetroitspring.com

Mark

Clarke Tate

• View Profile
  • N Number: NC41716
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 12:05:45 AM »
At one time the Antique Aircraft Association had a small stock of Helton Lark springs. I understood these would work for the Cadet. This was some 13 years ago and I don't know if they still have any. I have my own set as spares for my Cadet, but no extras.